In line with his earlier announcement, Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State, today inaugurated the State Judicial Panel of Investigation led by Hon. Justice Solomon Olugbemi (rtd), according to the resolutions of the the National Economic Council, NEC meeting of 15th October.
According to Governor Abiodun;
“The setting up of the Panel, as well as a support fund, committee, office, forensic lab, and online complaints portal, is a demonstration of our Administration’s commitment to true democracy and fundamental human rights.
“The terms of reference of the Panel, which will conclude its assignment within six (6) months, are:
- To receive and investigate complaints of Police brutality, human rights violation, or extra-judicial killings in Ogun State;
- To evaluate evidence presented and other circumstantial details, towards drawing conclusions as to the validity of the complaints;
- To recommend compensation and other remedies, where appropriate;
- To determine all officers responsible in any way for the abuse of victims, and recommend their prosecution; and
- Recommend to the Ogun State Government, ways to bring a permanent end to abuse of citizens’ rights by security agencies.
“Other members of the Panel are also carefully selected from among various stakeholders, including Civil Society Organisations, CSOs, youth and student populations, Human Rights Commission, NHRC, State Attorney General’s Office, and retired Police league.
“I must particularly mention DIG Babatunde Ogunyanwo (rtd), the no-nonsense super cop who was in charge of investigations into the circumstances surrounding the February 22, 2020 extra-judicial SARS killing of Remo Stars SC Assistant Captain, Tiamiyu Kazeem, leading to the dismissal and trial of the culpable officer.
“I have charged the Panel to hold their inaugural meeting today and get to work immediately, towards the continued peace and security of our dear State.
“I again want to plead with our youth and indeed all aggrieved people of Ogun State to sheathe their sword, as governments at all levels are already acceding to their requests in line with the commitment of the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to bring permanent solutions to all issues raised by the protest, so that our socioeconomic structure which has been disrupted in the past few days, may return to its place.
“The official e-mail address of the Panel: [email protected]
Telephone numbers: 07080601223, 07080601224
“Thank you, good people of Ogun State.”